7.07.2013

mt timp

on friday, my dad and i hiked mt timpanogos. it is 16 miles round trip and about 4900 feet of elevation gain. that's like hiking straight up almost a mile!

i've been wanting to do this hike for years with my dad. we've just never found a time that we could both do it in the small window of time when the weather permits.

we got up at 4:10 am and started the hike at 5:45 am. lovely. it was a good thing we did, though, because it took us 10 hours and 20 minutes.

the view the whole time was quite amazing.



we hiked across snow for a good 45 minutes. in july. weird. the day before we had gone boating on the lake and then the next day we were hiking in snow.

the end was the killer. it was ever so steep. we saw some mountain goats doing their thing, running across the thinnest of rocks like it was nothing. we made it to the saddle and could look over the whole valley. it was quite a sight to behold. we sat and ate lunch, then my dad sent me to the top because he was just too tuckered out. he'd done it before so he wasn't too sad to not make it to the very top this time. it was only another 45 minutes up, and up it was. it was halfsies of hiking and rock climbing. but i made it to the top! 4900 feet up from where i'd started!

on the way down, we almost died. our buns were s'dang sore. i was blistering on my heel and my legs were aching and my feet were killing me. and we ran out of water. good thing dad had his trusty water filter and we got water from the river. i haven't gotten sick yet so i think the filter did it's job in stopping me from drinking any diseases.

anyway, i don't know if i would call it 'fun', but i would definitely say it was awesome. and it was a good time with my daddio. One thing checked off my bucket list. Dun dun.

At the saddle
At the tippity top

1 comment: