10.28.2014

the northwest revisited: part 2

On our second day we went to the Oregon Coast. We went to the lighthouse at Cape Meares and had a little tour. WE GOT TO GO IN THE LIGHTHOUSE. What a dream come true. It was blistering hot up in that thur lighthouse, but the view was stellar.

We went to Oceanside and walked around on the beach for a while. The whole trip I had my phone in my back pocket and my camera bag around my neck. But for the beach I decided to ditch them both and just take my camera around my neck. Lucky I did, because that would have been yet another piece of my technology swallowed up by a body of water. Because, you see, Lizzie and I were just walking around, taking pictures, and Jake was climbing a log pole while Brian took pictures on the GoPro. The waves would come up on the beach and maybe touch our toes.
AND THEN. 
This gargantuan wave thrust itself upon the shore; hurling itself at everyone and everything in it's path. Lizzie has fast reflexes and booked it outta there. I saw the wave but didn't think it would be too much of a nuisance. But oh, how wrong I was. It hit my legs hard and I almost fell as I was running away. All I could do was just plant my feet there and try not to get knocked down. Unfortunately, it did knock me down pretty quickly. I had my fancy camera in my right hand. When the wave finally toppled me over I landed on my left hand (which later became extremely swollen, like a ripe tomato, but not red like a ripe tomato. More like purple like a plum). Just wanted to be descriptive in case you don't know your color wheel well. And, what do you know? I sprained my thumb.
Anyway, the water swirled around me and swept me up the beach. My first thought was, 'Oh my gosh, I'm wearing clothes and they're soaked now,' but after that all I could think about was saving my dear camera. Jake and Brian were back by the pole, both of them got pretty drenched, including their phones. (Luckily their phones made it). All they could see was my head and my camera above the water. Finally the wave slowly went back down and I felt some arms behind me help me up. Those arms belonged to this really cute guy (pictured below). It's like those stories where the girl is drowning and the cute lifeguard saves her life. Except on the extreme level that would be a ten and my story would be a two. And also he wasn't a lifeguard. And also I wasn't drowning. But still. There are similarities.
We stopped along the way home to use the bathroom. A massive pile of sand spilled out of my pants onto the bathroom floor. I got a tissue and tried to sweep it all up, but I couldn't. There was just too much sand. So, sorry guys who work there. I left a beach in your bathroom. Actually, you're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment