12.13.2013

that camera that was mine.


Last night, my friends Alyssa, Steph, Brendan, Coty, Taylor and I went to see the Columbia River Christmas Ship Parade. It was starting west and making its way toward the I-5 bridge. We were a bit early and the parade was a bit late. So we walked across the bridge, from Washington to Oregon. The first time I’ve ever actually walked into a different state! We walked under the bridge to cross to the other side and walk back because that side was the perfect ship viewing area. Brendan spotted a homeless man asleep in a camo sleeping bag 3 feet from us. He blended right in with the grass and shrubs! No kidding! On our way walking back to Washington we could see the ships coming in the distance. We waited for a long while and it was horribly cold. Due to the glacial temperatures, I was jumping up and down to get a little warm, when something jumped out of my pocket, bounced on the ground into a hole in the bridge and plunged into the frigid depths of the Columbia River. Can you guess what that object was?

MY CAMERA.

I didn’t even get to say goodbye. I just felt it jump out of my pocket, heard it bounce on the ground, and by the time I looked, it was gone, gone, gone. 

I was in shock and figured that’s why I wasn’t upset yet. I’m still not upset; I’m just thanking the heavens that it wasn’t my phone. Or my friend.

I stood there wide eyed and I think we all laughed. But I was just in such a good mood that we just kept laughing about it and you know, what can you really do?

We joked that the camera could have landed on some part of the bridge and in 100 years someone will find it and it will be an ancient artifact and then I’ll be famous. So, hopefully that goes well for me… and my posterity will become rich since I’ll be dead by then.

2 comments:

  1. I thought you were going to say that your phone dropped into the river, and I was going to be like, "Dude! What's with you and your phone?!" Because remember Lagoon?! I'm glad it was another piece of technology this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude that SUUUUUCKKKKSSSS. I'm so sorry. I'm glad you didn't burst into tears in front of your semi-new friends because that would have been me.

    ReplyDelete